Flu Season 2020-2021: 50-64 year old cohort
As you are aware the Government announced on 20th November that the 50-64 year old cohort will now be eligible for the flu vaccination. We have been working hard to secure additional stock and arrange flu vaccination clinics to enable us to deliver this service to our patients. Stock is limited so we do need to ensure we prioritise the age groups. We will plan to call patients aged 61-64 initially and then the patients aged 57-60 next and so on. We will be contacting patients either by text message or letter. We ask that patients wait to be called before attempting to book online or telephoning the Surgery to book.
Flu Season 2020-2021: All you need to know
Flu vaccination is available to our eligible patients every year at the surgery to help protect them against flu and its complications.
Due to COVID we are expecting greatly increased demand for flu vaccinations in the coming months, and with the COVID threat it is our absolute priority to help our patients stay fit and healthy during the coming winter months.
We would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that the surgery has measures in place to ensure that our patients feel safe when attending for their appointments.
We have planned our capacity to be able to give this important protection to our patients, here at the surgery, and therefore we urge you to book your vaccine with us as soon as possible.
The Surgery will be holding flu clinics at weekends along with weekdays throughout September and October.
To ensure that we are able to maintain social distancing we ask that when you attend for your appointment you arrive at the appointed time you have been given, and that you wear a facemask or covering.
All of our staff will be wearing PPE and will be signposting you where to go when you arrive.
The demand for vaccination this year will be very high so please ensure you book your appointment and reserve your vaccine.
• Appointments are available from 21st September 2020
• Strictly APPOINTMENTS ONLY – NO WALK INS.
Take action today and BOOK your FLU appointment!
You can book online, or by calling the surgery on 01299 402157
There will be 3 vaccines available this year :
- FLU – Over 65
- FLU – Under 65
- *CHILDREN (Dedicated clinics, dates TBC)
*All children age 2 and 3 years old on 31st August of the current ﬂu season are oﬀered ﬂu vaccination at their GP Surgery. Children in the at risk group aged between 6 months and less than 18 years of age are also able to book.
- 65 years old or over
- *Serious long-term health condition
- Living in a long-stay residential care home or another long-stay care facility
- Receive a carer’s allowance, or you’re the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- Live with someone who’s at high risk of coronavirus (on the NHS shielded patient list) or you expect to be with them on most days over winter
*Serious long-term health condition, including:
- Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma (that requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), COPD, emphysema or bronchitis
- Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease Motor Neurone disease, MS, cerebral palsy
- Learning disability
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV or Aids or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
However, if you are aged 50-64 in an at-risk group, you should not delay having your flu vaccine.
Frontline health and social care workers are also eligible to receive the flu vaccine. It’s your employer’s responsibility to arrange and pay for this vaccine.
With the additional risk of severe consequences of COVID to our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) patients, it is particularly important that you take up this flu vaccination offer this season if you fall into one of the eligible patient groups listed.